Our submission window is currently closed. We’re currently reading all the work submitted for this edition, and will respond to the participants shortly.
The prompt for our first anthology is: tell us a story about a secret!
You can also take inspiration from the artwork we’ve chosen to illustrate the cover, created by artist Ursa Ilustra, and write your piece as a response to the emotions brought on by the her work:
For our The Secret Lives anthology, we are looking to find prose that manages to capture magic in unexpected places, that trick of light that reveals something out of the ordinary. We are not requesting any specific genres for this edition, so they are all welcome – sci-fi, literary, fantasy, romance, horror, noir, non-fiction – as long as they reveal a piece of reality that might have otherwise gone unnoticed.
- Any submissions have to be your own original work, in English, previously unpublished in both print and digital media;
- Applicants can submit up to 2 short stories, no longer than 4,000 words each. There is no minimum word count. Please attach each story in a separate file, with the title as the name. Make sure your name is not anywhere on the submission file;
- Stories must be typed, in Times New Roman 12, and submitted as .doc or .pdf with numbered pages and the title on the header;
- In the body of your email or in a separate file, send your name (and/or pen name), email, contact number, story title and a short bio (up to 150 words). This information will be removed so all readings are anonymous;
- Include the word Submission in your email subject line;
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please inform us as soon as possible if you are selected elsewhere!
Send your stories to email@example.com by October 4th 2020 (you should receive a confirmation email). We are looking forward to hear from you!
All applicants will be contacted about their submissions in a timely fashion, but we are currently not able to provide individualized feedback.
Selected applicants will be offered a flat rate of €10, as well as a digital copy of the The Secret Lives Anthology. Sans PRESS will only have the right of first publication of any material, and writers will still hold their rights over their work.
We are also interested in producing an on demand print edition of the anthology, but this possibility is still TBA due to current restrictions.
By submitting to the anthology, you agree with our terms and conditions.
Although all submissions will receive a response, we are currently not able to provide individualized feedback to all applicants.
If you want to request a full individualized page of feedback, you can do so with your submission, with the payment of a €5 fee per piece, which can be transferred by Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org. Just include the receipt with your application and you will receive an annotated version of your work when results are sent out.
This won’t affect your chances of being selected in any way. We’ll just make sure to provide constructive feedback, and send you both structural and copy-editing notes on the selected works.