Submissions are currently open for our second edition, Because That’s Where Your Heart Is, from February 14th to March 28th.
For our new collection, we are looking for stories that respond to the prompt Because That’s Where Your Heart Is, and to the artwork selected for the cover. We want stories about what makes heart beats faster – it can be about romantic love, but also about friendship, dogs, cats, or a profound unexplained passion for paragliding! What we care about it the passion!
You can also take inspiration from the artwork we’ve chosen to illustrate the cover, created by artist Pedro Vizioli, and write your piece as a response to the emotions brought on by the his work:
We are not requesting any specific genres for this edition, so they are all welcome – sci-fi, literary, fantasy, romance, horror, noir, non-fiction – as long as they shine the brightness of passion on what might have gone unnoticed.
- Any submissions have to be your own original work, in English, previously unpublished in both print and digital media;
- Applicants can submit up to 2 short stories, no longer than 4,000 words each. There is no minimum word count. Please attach each story in a separate file, with the title as the name. Make sure your name is not anywhere on the submission file;
- Stories must be typed, in Times New Roman 12, and submitted as .doc or .pdf with numbered pages and the title on the header;
- In the body of your email or in a separate file, send your name (and/or pen name), email, contact number, story title and a short bio (up to 150 words). This information will be removed so all readings are anonymous;
- Include the word Submission in your email subject line;
- Simultaneous submissions are okay, but please inform us as soon as possible if you are selected elsewhere!
Send your stories to email@example.com by March 28th 2021 (you should receive a confirmation email). We are looking forward to hear from you!
All applicants will be contacted about their submissions in a timely fashion, but we are currently not able to provide individualized feedback.
Selected applicants will be offered a flat rate of €10, as well as a digital copy of the Because There’s Where Your Heart Is. Sans PRESS will only have the right of first publication of any material, and writers will still hold their rights over their work.
Your story might be edited for clarity, grammar and/or cohesion with full collection (we use UK spelling).
To promote this edition, we are planning to produce a poster chapbook with one of the selected stories, so it can be sent out by post (like a love letter!). If you wish to opt out from being considered, please let us know in your submission (this doesn’t affect your selection to the book).
By submitting to the collection, you agree with our terms and conditions.
Although all submissions will receive a response, we are currently not able to provide individualized feedback to all applicants.
If you want to request a full individualized page of feedback, you can do so with your submission, with the payment of a €5 fee per piece, which can be transferred by Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org. Just include the receipt with your application and you will receive an annotated version of your work when results are sent out.
This won’t affect your chances of being selected in any way. We’ll just make sure to provide constructive feedback, and send you both structural and copy-editing notes on the selected works.